Switching between virtual desktops

Luca Bezerra lucabezerra at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 13:54:30 PDT 2009

> It's not possible without some fancy hardware in the switch box: if
> you're going with your six-monitor setup and a simple A-B-C switch,
> each monitor needs to be able to handle a refresh rate of at least
> 360Hz to avoid flicker (I don't know of any CRT that can do more than
> 160Hz; it's rare for LCDs to handle more than 75Hz), and will be
> seeing no signal for five out of every six frames (any modern monitor
> will realize it's lost sync and will go into standby).
>

> In order to get this to work, the switch box needs to capture the
> video signal for a frame, store it, and repeat it on a given monitor's
> output until a new frame for that monitor comes along.  Once that's
> done, the rest of the problem becomes trivial.  It would be easier
> (and probably faster and cheaper) to lurk on Ebay until you can find a
> four-port PCI video card.
>
> --
> Mark

A: This framebuffer idea seems to be the closer one from the ideal solution
for this problem, given the circumstancies. A couple of people mentioned it
to me today (some from here, some from my college), but I appreciate your
data about the monitor's frequencies, it'll be very useful once Im reporting
my progress and obstacles to my boss ;)
The thing about buying on eBay, as I said before, is that its not easy to
get money released from the government to buy stuff for such an unusual
project, let alone tell them we're not buying from a store or a company, but
from a online commerce website... It'd never be approved; The contract would
have to be made with some company, in order to be supplied with x LCD
monitors (at a lower cost, obviously, due to the ammount required).