Switching between virtual desktops

Luca Bezerra lucabezerra at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 15:05:28 PDT 2009

Hello there.

Im new to this list, so I dont know if this has been posted in here yet. I
need to know a couple things about virtual desktops, and I couldn't manage
to find them googling around... Im not sure if this is the right place or
not, but I couldn't think of any other mailing list that would (at least
partially) fit my questions.

First of all, I'd like to know if theres a way to change between virtual
desktops (the same thing that we do when we press Ctrl+Alt+Right/Left Arrow
Key) using shell script, cause I need them to be switching really fast,
automatically.

Secondly, I'd like to know if there's any way of making the virtual desktops
independent from each other. I'll explain: I want like.. 2 monitors attached
to the computer, one showing Desktop 1 [d1] and the other one showing
Desktop 2 [d2], but they can't interfere on eachother, nor they can change
the desktop they're displaying (in case there's more than 2 virtual desktops
running). The monitors are given a specific virtual desktop to display, and
they can't change it.

I think I'd had a couple more questions, but I think those are already
enough to be asking =P

Again, sorry if those questions do not fit the purpose of this list, and, if
you've got any doubts about what I meant, please, ask me.

Truly grateful,
Luca