No MergedXinerama for xrandr

Quinn Harris quinn at qutek.net
Mon Jun 1 14:23:14 PDT 2009

On Sunday 31 May 2009 8:02:31 pm Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Quinn Harris <quinn at qutek.net> wrote:
> > Before many video drivers changed from MergedFB to xrandr 1.2 for a dual
> > head video card they had an option like "NoMergedXinerama"
> > for the Radeon driver that would make the two screens appear as one to
> > the window manager.  Does a similar option exist somewhere now
> > with xrandr 1.3?  Is there a way to completely disable a window managers
> > awareness of multiple screens?
> >
> > I have a Viewsonic VP2290b that needs to be driven by two DVI ports to
> > run at full resolution at a usable refresh rate (24hz).  But I
> > don't want the desktop (KDE 4.2) to treat the single monitor like two in
> > any way.
>
> It's all handled in the common xserver code now for xrandr 1.2 rather
> than in the drivers.  Your best bet is probably to turn off xinerama
> support in your window manager.
>
> Alex

I also noticed mplayer and Xine also recognized multiple monitors.  The
Firefox "awesome bar" adjusts where it shows based on the monitor edge that
doesn't actually exist in my configuration.  I wasn't able to find an option
in KDE 4.2 to ignore Xinerama or the like, but haven't looked hard.

Something at the xserver level would be nice.  A global option or better yet a
way to instruct xrandr to treat two or more specified screens as one to all X
software.  This is basically another feature regression with xrandr and should
probably be considered to be resolved in a future revision.

Quinn Harris