Radeon ( RV280 ) DRI2 status

Dan dan at entropy.homelinux.org
Thu Jul 30 21:50:17 PDT 2009

Hi people.

I have managed to get a KMS kernel booting without oopsing.
radeon.agpmode=-1 does the trick. I have 2 problems now. Firstly, the mode
that KMS brings up is out of sync for my LCD monitor. Does the driver
detect the capabilities of the attached monitor, or does it use hard-coded
defaults?

Anyway, when X starts ( xf86-video-ati & mesa from git ),
things come to life again. X reports that DRI2 has initialised. My next
problem is that ecomorph & compiz run very, very slowly. The screen will
redraw a small section, near where the mouse is, every 5 seconds or so. Is
this to be expected? Or should I get usable performance in compiz?

Dan