Radical idea for X-modmap problem.

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 08:32:48 PDT 2009

2009/7/27 Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org>:
> walt wrote:

>> Being strictly an amateur programmer, I've always wondered how many
>> people/institutions actually use X for remote display the way it was
>> designed to be used.  Seems to introduce a great deal of confusing
>> complexity for features many of us never use.

> Actually, quite a lot.  E.g. HP and others sell thin clients in
> commercial (and engineering) settings.  And LTSP is quite popular in the
> developing world for more general desktop use.  Extrapolating yourself
> to the world is fraught with difficulties...

And things like support for multiple video cards suddenly going away,
because the devs weren't thinking outside the case of a Linux
workstation with one screen.

What other functionality in X isn't used in the "single screen Linux
workstation" case and could do with conscious awareness so it isn't
inadvertently broken?

- d.