amd64 no screens SOLVED

PJ af.gourmet at videotron.ca
Thu Jul 23 10:36:20 PDT 2009

PJ wrote:
> Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
>
>> PJ wrote:
>>
>>> I do now and it still does not work...
>>> The xf86-input-keyboard & mouse drivers are installed; so is
>>> xf86-video-fbdev (was not being loaded)
>>> The screen goes black when testing with X & xorg.conf.new;
>>> startx causes screen syncing with streking on screeen.
>>> Neither permits me to opt out with ctl-alt-bkspace; have to reboot.
>>> Don't understand why keyboard & mouse not loaded... also no directories
>>> for fonts... could that be the problem?
>>>
>>> below is ...snip.. from "startx" log:
>>>
>>> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Jul 23 09:32:10 2009
>>> (II) Loader magic: 0x35e0
>>> (II) Module ABI versions:
>>>     X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
>>>     X.Org Video Driver: 5.0
>>>     X.Org XInput driver : 4.0
>>>     X.Org Server Extension : 2.0
>>> (II) Loader running on freebsd
>>> (--) Using syscons driver with X support (version 2.0)
>>> (--) using VT number 9
>>>
>>> (--) PCI:*(0 at 1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X700 (PCIE) rev
>>> 0, Mem @ 0xc8000000/134217728, 0xc0100000/65536, I/O @ 0x00009000/256,
>>> BIOS @ 0x????????/65536
>>> (==) Using default built-in configuration (30 lines)
>>> (==) --- Start of built-in configuration ---
>>>     Section "Device"
>>>         Identifier    "Builtin Default ati Device 0"
>>>         Driver    "ati"
>>>     EndSection
>>>     Section "Screen"
>>>         Identifier    "Builtin Default ati Screen 0"
>>>         Device    "Builtin Default ati Device 0"
>>>     EndSection
>>>     Section "Device"
>>>         Identifier    "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
>>>         Driver    "vesa"
>>>     EndSection
>>>     Section "Screen"
>>>         Identifier    "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
>>>         Device    "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
>>>     EndSection
>>>     Section "Device"
>>>         Identifier    "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
>>>         Driver    "fbdev"
>>>     EndSection
>>>     Section "Screen"
>>>         Identifier    "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
>>>         Device    "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
>>>     EndSection
>>>     Section "ServerLayout"
>>>         Identifier    "Builtin Default Layout"
>>>         Screen    "Builtin Default ati Screen 0"
>>>         Screen    "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
>>>         Screen    "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
>>>     EndSection
>>> (==) --- End of built-in configuration ---
>>> (==) ServerLayout "Builtin Default Layout"
>>> (**) |-->Screen "Builtin Default ati Screen 0" (0)
>>> (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
>>> (**) |   |-->Device "Builtin Default ati Device 0"
>>> (==) No monitor specified for screen "Builtin Default ati Screen 0".
>>>     Using a default monitor configuration.
>>> (**) |-->Screen "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0" (1)
>>> (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
>>> (**) |   |-->Device "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
> [...]
I guess I was trying to simplify things and thus ended up complicating
it all. What a pita.
Solved by installing the entire kit & kaboodle of Xorg and startx worked
right away. Now, to simplify it all, I have to find and delete all the
unnecessary crap that is infesting the notebook. :'(
BTW, the xf86-video-ati driver was not enough - also needed the radeon
since the log shows it is being used... :-)
Thanks for the help, guys.
PJ

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."
Phil Jourdan --- pj at ptahhotep.com
   http://www.ptahhotep.com
   http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php