amd64 no screens

PJ af.gourmet at videotron.ca
Thu Jul 23 05:01:02 PDT 2009

Is it possible there is some problem with xorg 7.4 on FreeBSD 7.2
running on an amd64 Turion portable. The error seems to be "no vga
module" "no screens found" no drivers available.
The default configuration shows the driver choses as "vesa" by ATI
technologies "Radeon Mobility X700 (PCIE)"
The dmesg.boot shows the driver as vga, generic.
I have read all the documentation I could find and it appears that this
particular configuration is not supported by FreeBSD...i.e. there is no
reference to Radeon or X700 in their hardware listing. But what about Xorg?
It is rather strange, but in my adventure in installing this stuff, at
one point I was getting something of a screen running but there seemed
to be a problem with a mouse or something like that... don't recall...
but it seemed to me that it should be possilbe to make this beastie work.
In my latest and greatest effort, I have installed everything from
sources, but the driver is forced to be a vesa driver by xorg when the
ordinary non-X screen boot-up indicates the driver as being vga...
somebody has got things rather crossed up?
What do we do now?
TIA
PJ

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."
Phil Jourdan --- pj at ptahhotep.com
   http://www.ptahhotep.com
   http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php