Support for 30bit color?

Andrew Theurer habanero at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Jul 20 19:24:31 PDT 2009

Aaron Plattner wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 04:53:42PM -0700, Andrew Theurer wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to figure out if 30bit color (10R/10G/10B) is possible on X.
>> I see a number of video cards claiming support for 30bit color, but I am
>> not so sure it's supported in X.  Are there any examples out there of
>> users using 30bit color?  Any particular adapters that play nice?  Anyone
>> also doing this with HDMI?
>>

> The NVIDIA driver supports X screens with depth 30 color on Quadro GPUs.
> For display, some GPUs and some DisplayPort monitors support full-precision
> depth 30 color.  VGA also works, but involves a lossy digital-to-analog
> conversion.  Other display connections (such as DVI and HDMI) will still
> work but will be dithered to 24-bit color.

Thanks Aaron.  I read on the nVidia driver README:

"Some devices connected via analog VGA, DisplayPort, and HDMI can
display the full 10 bit range of colors. Devices connected via DVI, as
well as laptop internal panels connected via LVDS, will be dithered to 8
or 6 bits per pixel."

Based on that statement I was hoping there was a chance for HDMI to
display 10bit per color.  However, I can't seem to find a Quadro card
that has HDMI.  Some have DisplayPort.  Any idea if these are MultiMode
DisplayPort, and can send the right signal when a DisplayPort to HDMI
dongle is attached?  (This is assuming the display can do HDMI deep color).

Thanks,

-Andrew