libXext 1.0.99.3

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jul 20 01:08:44 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Peter Hutterer at 20/07/09 07:51 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 02:41:42PM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Peter Hutterer at 16/07/09 23:49 did gyre and gimble:
>>> Brown paper bag release. 1.0.99.2 shipped with a build error if it didn't
>>> partially pick up system-installed old xextproto headers. Apologies for the
>>> inconvenience.
>>>
>>> Adam Jackson (1):
>>>       Fix DPMS/MBUF/SECURITY for new header names
>>>
>>> Peter Hutterer (1):
>>>       Bump to 1.0.99.3
>> I'm still not seeing dpmsstr.h being installed by either protocol or
>> lib. Is it deprecated?
>
> dpmsstr.h has been split up into dpmsconst.h and dpmsproto.h, the former is
> included by dpms.h (the client header).
>
>> Things like xscreensaver will not compile now as they include this
>> directly. I can remove the include form xscreensaver for this file and
>> it seems to compile fine, but I'm not sure if this is intentional. It
>> seems most of the defines/structures in dpmsstr.h are now in
>> dpmsproto.h. Perhaps a dummy dpmsstr.h should be created that just
>> includes dpmsproto as a stopgap? Or was dpmsstr.h never part of the
>> public API? There are some comments in xscreensaver that seem to suggest
>> this may be the case...
>>
>> Thanks for any clarification.
>
> thanks, that comment in the file made me laugh :)
> I don't know why both headers are included, none of the defines from
> dpmsstr.h are actually in use by xscreensaver.
>
> In regards to being public API - hard to say. The only things it provided
> that might be in use by clients was the DPMExtensionName and
> DPMSMajor/MinorVersion defines.
>
> Did you notice any other apps that break?

Not off hand but I've not really done any rebuilding in this area. It
was actually another mdv contributor that informed me of the
xscreensaver borkage.

I'll patch xscreensaver to not include the header for now as like you
say it's not needed anyway.

Will let you know if any other apps fail to build.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie