Hiding the X cursor?

Tyler McClung mcclunty at onid.orst.edu
Tue Jul 14 13:37:21 PDT 2009

It seems I came in a little too late to reply on the old thread, but
that's fine.

I'm attempting to (temporarily) hide the cursor in an embedded system
running matchbox-window-manager.  I am able to hide the mouse for all
newly opened windows, but old windows do not change.  I do not want to
restart the wm for the changes to be global.  Here are the things I've
tried:

1.  Apply an invisible mouse theme via matchbox-remote -theme
Fail: Did not change anything

2.  Configure/change default icon file to point to xcursor-transparent
Fail:  Works for new windows + root, but not for old windows (works if
wm is restarted)

3.  Send events to matchbox-window-manager by rewriting the source
code for the wm as well as matchbox-remote.
Fail:  Does the same thing as attempt 2.

I believe the reason why 2 and 3 do not work is matchbox or X
maintains a cache of the applied cursors for each window that is open
and does not mess with the cache for windows that are already open.  I
am unsure if this is how it really works, but I am having trouble
changing the old windows.

Is there a way to hide the cursor on the fly without restarting the
server or window manager?

If you're wondering why, I'm attempting to write a little program to
toggle the view of the cursor on the system because the user may want
to use the touchscreen, the touchpad, or a mouse; plus some programs
would be cooler without the cursor.

Thanks in advance,
--
Tyler McClung