getting all kbd events

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Jul 8 03:39:43 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 10:15:08AM +0000, Nokan Emiro wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009, Timothy S. Nelson wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, Nokan Emiro wrote:
> > How can I change the  XkbSelectEvents's parameters to be messaged on all
> >> keypresses?
> >
> >        I'm not an X programmer, but doesn't xev do this already?  And if
> > so, couldn't you just look at the xev source?
>
> Thanks for the tip, but this is not what helps me out.  xev uses plain Xlib,
> but
> the sample code in my mail uses XKBlib.  xev calls XSelectInput(), in my
> code
> I would like to use XkbSelectEvents() for this purpose.

Well, you can use XkbSelectEvents() if you want, but it won't give you
key events. :) Use Xi2 to select for XI_KeyPress and XI_KeyRelease on
modern servers with an XInput version of 2.0 or later, or just plain old
XSelectInput() with KeyPressMask and KeyReleaseMask.

XKB only provides the mapping for key events you've received; it's not
responsible for delivering you the key events in the first place.

Cheers,
Daniel