Fedora 10, Xorg 7.4 and US15W - Poulsbo - please help - I'm stuck

Adam Williamson awilliamson at mandriva.com
Fri Jan 30 21:35:57 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 21:23 -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Why is this code being handled in this half-assed way? Can't Intel,
> > Tungsten, Dell, Ubuntu and whoever just pull together and put it in
> > X.org and the kernel like a sane and actually-useful driver should be?
>
> That would be nice - I know some people who went through similar confusion
> a few months ago, and were told by Intel engineers that the
> xf86-video-vermilion that Tungsten contributed to Xorg & DRI about 9 months
> ago is actually the Poulsbo driver, though nowhere else can you find that
> name for it.  I never followed up to see if that worked for them on their
> hardware or not.

I think you're hitting the old "was it really that long ago?" trap :)

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-vermilion/

Initial commit is dated 2007/03/28 - so *a year* and nine months ago.
I've also read that it's probably the same driver, but even so, it
doesn't help, as it'll be an even earlier version of the code than the
one in Moblin git, which doesn't work. Never mind the one in Ubuntu's
repos. Which also doesn't work (on anything but one specific version of
Ubuntu).

The 'vermilion' code hasn't been touched in any meaningful way since
April 2007.
--
adamw