Keyboard broken

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Fri Jan 30 14:14:10 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 01:23:19PM -0800, Ian Romanick wrote:
> Sometime since last Tuesday, the xserver is failing with the info below.
> I don't see a file evdev *anywhere* in the tree or in the
> distro's /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules.  I'm also specifying 'Option
> "XkbRules" "xorg"' in my xorg.conf.  What is this file?  Where does it
> come from?  And why is its nonexistence suddenly breaking the xserver?
>
> (EE) XKB: Couldn't open rules
> file /opt/xorg-master-x86_64/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev
> XKB: Failed to compile keymap

the evdev rules file is part of xkeyboard-config 1.4 or later.
simply installing it with the same prefix as the server will do the job.

if the server starts up with device hotplugging enabled (the default), then
the evdev driver forces the evdev ruleset for xkb, so it doesn't matter what
you specify in the config.

Cheers,
  Peter