client-side font rendering very very slow in X.org xserver 1.5.3 w/r200: massive fetches from VRAM, why?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 14:02:35 PST 2009

> Are you using the same version of kde on both systems?  IIRC kde 4
> switched to using a1 surfaces for font rendering which isn't currently
> accelerated by EXA.  Notice the _a1 fetch below.
I've seen quite many different reports about slow EXA which turned out
to be caused by the A1 mask format (I haven't seen anybody using A4).

Wouldn't it be possible to re-direct A1 allocation to an A8 pixmap,
and convert at up- and downloading?
At least for text, where pixmaps can't be accessed anyway?

Thanks, Clemens