libXrender - documentation?

Thu Jan 29 07:31:55 PST 2009

Charles Lindsey wrote:
> In <49809721.2020106 at sun.com> Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith at Sun.COM> writes:
>
>> Charles Lindsey wrote:
>>>       RENDER extension not supported by server
>>>
>>> Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!
>
>> Render support on Solaris 10 depends on which X server & drivers you use.
>
>> On x86/x64 hardware, use the Xorg server (which is default in Solaris 10
>> and later on that hardware) and Render should be supported on almost all
>> hardware/drivers.
>
>> On SPARC hardware, the drivers for the Xsun server only support render
>> on some graphics cards, and some require patches from SunSolve and/or
>> adding +xrender to the Xsun command line options to enable it.
>
> Well I wish Sun would admit to it somewhere on their Website.

Google should certainly be able to find discussions of it in the Solaris
Usenet newsgroups and other forums - I don't remember how much made it into
the Sun web site.

> I am using a SPARC Ultra-2 with the "Creator Graphics" board inside it,
> and the Jan. 06 release of Solaris 10. Can you say whether that should
> work?

No, the driver group never backported render support to cards that old, sorry.

> As to the +render flag, I have called 'strings' on Xsun, and no string
> containing "render" within it, so I doubt my version supports that. Is the
> Xsun source available someplace? (no trace of it on Opensolaris.org).

Sorry, Xsun contains sources encumbered by third party licenses that don't
allow open publication, which is one of the reasons we're dropping it to move
to Xorg.   (Xsun sources are available under a very restricted license as part
of the Solaris OS source kits, which used to be cheap for educational
institutions and expensive for everyone else, but I haven't kept up on the
prices of those.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com