libXrender - documentation?

Wed Jan 28 09:34:25 PST 2009

Charles Lindsey wrote:
> Now I am using Solaris-10 as my operating system, and libXrender and
> libxft come bundled with it, and its documentation proudly proclaims
>
>    "This feature [the XRender Extension] is included in the Solaris 10
>    3/05 release" (and it was actually in Solaris-9 before that).
>
> So I poked around using truss and the Debug facility in libxft, and
> discovered that the Opera/QT/Solaris combination always took the xftcore
> route. Finally, in desperation, I tried 'xdpyinfo -ext RENDER' and it told
> me:
>
>       RENDER extension not supported by server
>
> Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!

Render support on Solaris 10 depends on which X server & drivers you use.

On x86/x64 hardware, use the Xorg server (which is default in Solaris 10
and later on that hardware) and Render should be supported on almost all
hardware/drivers.

On SPARC hardware, the drivers for the Xsun server only support render
on some graphics cards, and some require patches from SunSolve and/or
adding +xrender to the Xsun command line options to enable it.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com