libXrender - documentation?

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen eirik at opera.com
Wed Jan 28 00:12:31 PST 2009

"Nicolas Mailhot" <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> writes:

> Le Mar 27 janvier 2009 09:23, Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen a écrit :
>
>> The text handling in Qt 2 was abysmal (in particular the font
>> switching), so we (opera) implemented our own.  I don't think we've
>> changed it much since then.  I believe our implementation uses xft and
>> "classic x fonts" directly.
>
> QT and pango have been merging behind the scene (harfbuzz). It would
> be nice if Opera joined them. That would avoid some of the "WTF fonts
> work everywhere except in Opera" recent messages you can easily find
> with Google.

I suspect this would be the correct thing to do for almost all
programs, including opera.  Text rendering (as opposed to glyph
rendering, which is almost trivial) is truly a hard problem, and I
think it would be highly beneficial if everyone used the same engine.
Particularly because I suspect that user tweaking of the configuration
will always be necessary.

(I haven't looked at pango yet, so I have no idea if it is suitable
for us (API or license-wise).  And I don't work on the desktop browser
either these days, so I don't know too much about what is happening
there.)

eirik