Pointer glide patch for Input/synaptics

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 07:57:32 PST 2009

That's completely understandable, especially for something this iffy.
I'll poke the idea downstream in Ubuntu land and see what happens.
With regards to touch screen vs. touchpad, they are indeed different
input devices, but they are similar with regards to /scrolling/ things
as either way it is with a relative movement on a stationary surface.
Slightly different mechanics (in that one is inverted movements), but
fairly similar. I think.

What I mean by extended input device data (I think that's the term. It
probably isn't. Again, I'm not an X person) is a way for the driver to
provide information such as absolute finger position and pressure to
outside processes. This way cruft can be maintained somewhere else,
without the risk of crashing the driver.
I agree another issue with this is that, indeed, the pointer is more
an abstract concept and not always that same big arrow we push around
to click buttons in GNOME. This would need some serious regression
testing.

So, err, thanks for shooting down all my hopes and dreams :P
(I'm Kidding, I'm kidding!)

Bye,
-Dylan