Fwd: Re: Fwd: Draft XI 2 protocol specification

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Jan 27 04:34:14 PST 2009

Sorry about the delay.

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 09:07:07AM +0100, Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
> Since we need XI2 in Wine to fix some major input issues (relative mouse
> input) I forwarded your spec draft to our mailinglist and one of our devs
> has some questions.

> I'd say I like it so far. Should work really nicely for DInput. And I think
> it should work for "RawInput" as well - one more API introduced in XP.
> However someone needs to see how well this will work for tablet input?
>
> The next big question - joysticks. If Wine ever decides to use X11 for
> joysticks we'll need much more then what's available now in XI 1.x
> (force-feedback anyone?) or spec'ed here. The other direction (to the
> device) is IMHO needed as well.

We have feedback to the devices, but I only know it from reading the protocol
spec, I've never needed to use it myself. What exactly is lacking that cannot
be solved with int/string/etc. feedback?

> Also not sure where all the extra keyboard add-ons belongs in. XI or
> something else? Things like extra displays, LEDs - all the cool stuff on
> some gaming devices.

The current consensus is that LEDS are controlled through XKB. For "keyboard
add-ons", if they are defined on a per-device basis they may end up as device
properties.

Cheers,
  Peter