Current tinderbox regression (xserver)

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Mon Jan 26 18:45:28 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 10:26 +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:08:04AM -0500, Chris Ball wrote:
> > Keyboard.c: In function 'xnestKeyboardProc':
> > Keyboard.c:177: warning: passing argument 1 of 'XkbSetRulesDflts' from
> > incompatible pointer type
> > Keyboard.c:177: error: too many arguments to function 'XkbSetRulesDflts'
> > Keyboard.c:178: warning: implicit declaration of function 'XkbInitKeyboardDeviceStruct'
> > Keyboard.c:178: warning: nested extern declaration of 'XkbInitKeyboardDeviceStruct'
> > Keyboard.c:206: warning: passing argument 1 of 'InitKeyboardDeviceStruct' from incompatible pointer type
> > Keyboard.c:206: warning: passing argument 2 of 'InitKeyboardDeviceStruct' from incompatible pointer type5B
> > Keyboard.c:122: warning: unused variable 'j'
> > Keyboard.c:117: warning: unused variable 'modifier_keymap'
> > Keyboard.c: In function 'xnestUpdateModifierState':
> > Keyboard.c:227: error: 'struct _KeyClassRec' has no member named 'state'
> > Keyboard.c:235: error: 'struct _KeyClassRec' has no member named 'state'
> > Keyboard.c:256: error: 'struct _KeyClassRec' has no member named 'state'
>
> Yeah, Xnest and Xdmx are broken, sorry.  That being said, we've talked a
> lot about just deleting Xnest in favour of Xephyr: anyone got any
> compelling counter-arguments?

Pretty sure the compelling argument was that Xnest would pass through
requests so that you got acceleration from your host server.  Except
that it doesn't support modern extensions, so you get no acceleration
and clients shaking their fists at you instead.  I haven't heard of any
use for it as a debugging platform, either.

Nuke away, in my opinion.

--
Eric Anholt
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com