http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/git [was: Fedora 10: Trouble installing libdrm (2.4.4) for latest Intel driver (2.6)]

Sergio Monteiro Basto sergio at sergiomb.no-ip.org
Thu Jan 22 18:38:57 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 10:01 -0800, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:38 pm Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Since I also works with Fedora 10, I am also interested in this
> > thread :)

> > > Unfortunately, the script you followed doesn't seem to tell you about
> > > handling the XKB data. You can either install xkeyboard-config or
> > > follow the instructions for "Making the keyboard work" here:
> > >
> > > http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/git
> >
> > ok I found some updates on Development/git, and that a cool page , but I
> > have some questions .
> >
> > On section: running new stack
> > * rmmod i915 # assuming you're using Intel
> >   * rmmod drm
> >   * insmod <path_to_drm_tree_above>/linux-core/drm.ko
> >   * insmod <path_to_drm_tree_above>/linux-core/i915.ko
> >
> > This isn't more applicable on Intel isn't it ? but as example for others
> > that don't use the new drm kernel are fine :)
>
> Right, please correct this on the wiki. :)  For Intel, the Linux drivers are
> maintained in-tree.  The BSD variants are generally ported from there (or the
> mailing list) into their respective trees nowadays.
>
> > Other question is about section: Building DRM.
> > On Intel (that is my development case ) make install (without make -C
> > linux-core ) , will overwrite drm kernel headers , that is good ?
>
> "make install" from a kernel tree will overwrite the versions in /lib/modules,
> but it's easier to just copy them by hand from drivers/gpu/ to /lib/modules.
>
> > To be honest I don't know if libdrm could be different of drm kernel and
> > they could act independently or if we should check if headers of libdrm
> > and headers of drm kernel are equal. Some clues about this question are
> > welcome .
>
> Some distros are starting to use the kernel headers rather than the libdrm
> headers now.  I think this makes sense long term; however since the headers
> are slightly out of sync it has caused build problems for some packages.

Somehow (new) libdrm should be build against kernel headers , to ensure
this "sync" of libdrm and drm kernel. Since that we have some agreement
which is the kernel that provide drm headers.

So, make install of libdrm should not produce headers if they exists
already in kernel-headers.

Or as workaround first build libdrm and second build the kernel ...

> Jesse

Thanks,
--
Sérgio M. B.