save-under support

Patrick O'Donnell pao at ascent.com
Thu Jan 22 14:25:52 PST 2009

I've been told, recently, that "save-under and backing-store under
8-bit [visuals] are no longer supported in recent X.org releases".  We
maintain several old X applications that make significant use of both
save-under and backing-store (and 8-bit PseudoColor visuals), and this
news greatly disturbs us.  However, in several days of searching, I
have been unable to find any definitive pronouncement that that is
truly the case.

So, could someone point me to where I would find more authoritative
information on the status of save-under and backing-store?

I have not done significant X programming in quite some time, and with
my attention diverted to other tasks, I have not been able to keep up
with the latest developments in the X Window System.  So, any pointers
to relevent helpful documents or articles would be greatly
appreciated.

		- Patrick O'Donnell