libXrender - documentation?

Thomas Dickey dickey at his.com
Wed Jan 21 05:14:15 PST 2009

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Clemens Eisserer wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
> Unfourtunatly XRender is not very well documented, probably the best
> thing available is the specification.

hmm - googling on that (xrender specification) doesn't find much - just
these random notes here for instance:

 	http://keithp.com/~keithp/render/protocol.html

which only covers a very small fraction of the library.

(Since it's apparently undocumented - I looked some time ago and concluded
that the documentation covered at most 10% of the code, the "best" thing
available would appear to be the source code - with the caveat that
change-history also appears to be lacking).

> The reason is that most programmers use higher-level APIs like Cairo
> or QT4 to access XRender, so if you don't have a good reason why you
> directly want to mess with it I recommend using cairo too.

In that case, a pointer to the detailed api of cairo would help Charles.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net