FW: Re: Xorg with ATI / RV370 sneakily eats half my CPU with empty screen?

John Clarke john at clarkecoetzee.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 01:54:07 PST 2009

Hi Michel

> The above indicates this is due to the 'isis' process, not X?

Is that possible?  isis is my big number-crunching task - I/O from files and very occasional (every 20 seconds or so) printf()s to show progress.  Absolutely no X calls - not even linked to the X libraries.  How could that be hammering Xorg?  Moreover Xorg's memory usage seems a little extreme -- 400MB?  My screen is otherwise idle.

So far Xorg has clocked up nearly a day of CPU time - that's an extra day I'm waiting for my results, so the current setup is unacceptable.

Can someone please let me know how to enable more logging, or some other way to debug this.

Thanks
John

  Message Received: Jan 21 2009, 08:53 AM