xorg server should wait HAL if it's not avail during init

Tino Keitel tino.keitel+xorg at tikei.de
Tue Jan 20 03:28:54 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:18:10 +0100, Matija Šuklje wrote:
> Dne torek 20. januarja 2009 je Yan Li napisal(a):
> > I suggest we add a short (5 seconds) busy-wait if hald is not usable.
>
> Isn't that more of a (distro's) init system problem?

The problem is that most of those service dependency stuff ignores the
fact that daemons may need some time to really become available for
service.  They just start a service and don't have a way to check if
the service is really available.  Combined with missing failure
handling (like starting a service, noticing that the service terminated
because another required service was not yet available, wait a few
seconds, and try again automatically), such service dependencies are
pretty useless if reliability is a requirement.

Regards,
Tino