Proper way to enable port access tracing with current xserver

Alex Villací­s Lasso a_villacis at palosanto.com
Fri Jan 16 14:10:51 PST 2009

Alex Deucher escribió:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Alex Villací­s Lasso
> <a_villacis at palosanto.com> wrote:

>>> The bridge chipset needs to route vga to the proper card.  Pre-1.5
>>> xservers used to handle this.  libpciaccess does not yet AFAIK.
>>>
>>> Alex
>>>

>> Then, this is technically a regression.
>>
>> So, lets say I want to add this support back. Is this squarely a
>> libpciaccess change, or do I have to place this on the xserver (since
>> this is specifically a VGA requirement)? Is anyone currently working on
>> this, by any chance (just to avoid duplicating work). Any suggestions on
>> the proper API to expose from libpciaccess? Are there any official docs
>> on bridge chipsets, besides the actual source code of old xservers?
>>

> Ideally it would be done in the kernel to be used with libpciaccess.
> Tiago and Paulo have been working on it:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-October/029507.html
> I'm not sure what the current status is.  As for documents, your best
> bet is probably hw reference guides from the vendors who make the PCI
> chipsets (AMD/VIA/Intel/etc.).  Most are available.
>
> Alex

I have collected a few patches. However, the referenced repositories are
now 404. Would it be acceptable to skip a kernel implementation for now
and instead just modify xserver/libpciaccess to provide a level of
functionality similar to pre-1.5 ?

--
perl -e '$x=2.4;print sprintf("%.0f + %.0f = %.0f\n",$x,$x,$x+$x);'