xorg-server-1.5.1fails to compile withlinux-libc-headers-2.6.11.2and gcc 3.4.3

Angel Tsankov fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg
Fri Jan 16 13:13:32 PST 2009

Jeremy Henty wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 04:22:29PM +0200, Angel Tsankov wrote:
>> Angel Tsankov wrote:
>
>> Any ideas why this happens?  Could it be linux-libc-headers or glibc
>> being too old to build xorg-server 1.5.1 or is it something else?
>
> Quite possibly.   I had similar problems  in this past.   What is your
> system.  If you're still on gcc-3.4.3 I'm guessing it's quite old?
>
> In fact,  isn't linux-libc-headers itself obsolete?   Doesn't a modern
> Linux install sanitised headers of its own?

It's a LFS (Linux From Scratch) system version 6.1.1.  It includes GCC 3.4.3
which I tried to upgrade to 4.3.2 buit failed to recompile glibc (it
complained about not finding limits.h).  I guess I'll have to upgrade LFS to
version 6.3 which installs the latest version of GCC, a much more recent
version of glibc and the sanitised Linux headers.

However, I compared glibc 2.7's "sys/kd.h" and it too suppresses the
inclusion of "linux/types.h". So upgrading glibc from 2.3.4 to 2.7 shouldn't
be of much help.  I also doubt that upgrading GCC would help, since the
problem seems to lie elsewhere.  So what is left is the kernel headers. I
tried to install the latest (2.6.28) version and reinstall all other
software but perl 5.8.7 failed to compile -- it did not find asm/page.h.  I
checked and found that in contrast ot linux-libc-headers the inux kernel
does not install this file although it is found in the package.  To bring me
test further on I'll have to figure out how to install asm/page.h so that I
can build and install perl.  Any help about the linux sanitized headers is
welcome.

--Angel