Bug in interaction between freeglut and mesa-7.3-rc2

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Fri Jan 16 06:12:31 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 14:57 +0100, Florian Echtler wrote:
> > > According to the GLX spec, these two calls should be equivalent.
> > > However, the first one causes a segfault, the second one doesn't. So I
> > > suppose this is really a bug in mesa somewhere.
> > No. The former is only supported as of GLX 1.3, but your setup only
> > supports GLX 1.2.
> I'm sorry, I just saw that I already had cross-posted this to xorg once
> (last fall). I forgot about the GLX 1.2/1.3 difference, but why does
> this function exist & segfault then?

It exists because the same code could support GLX 1.3 with different
drivers.

> Shouldn't it rather return an error when GLX 1.3 is unsupported?

I'm not sure about that, but in general I think the result of trying to
use unsupported GL(X) functionality is undefined. It could do nothing,
or it could eat your kitten, or...

To me, the real question here is why such a glaring bug in freeglut
hasn't been fixed in such a long time.