Current support and roadmap for discrete graphics card hot switching

Albert Vilella avilella at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 02:39:44 PST 2009

> > What is the current support and roadmap for discrete graphics card hot
> > switching in Xorg?
>
> OLPC does automatic switching of display controller for power management.

Interesting. So the OLPC also has a discrete and an integrated graphics
card?
Are these Intel or what brand?

 > There are currently ~40 users of Sony Vaio Z series using Linux that
would
> like this feature to be implemented. See:
>

> > https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series<https://launchpad.net/%7Esony-vaio-z-series>
> <https://launchpad.net/%7Esony-vaio-z-series>
>
> Perhaps they can all extract the documentation from Nvidia 8)

With the bad spell they have had lately, hopefully Nvidia will disappear as
a company soon and let Intel and ATI carry on supporting Linux :-p
No, seriously, I am guessing Nvidia will add this to the list of things to
do for their binary blob, but ATI/AMD should be in a better position to
support or help in supporting this feature in Linux, right?