Intel/G45/1080 tearing

Anthony Arobone aaroboneml at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 11:35:24 PST 2009

I've been trying to stay up to date on the intel drivers/known bugs, but I
continue to have 1080 tearing.  Here is my setup:

Intel DG45FC (mini-itx with hdmi)
Gentoo 2.6.28 kernel
xorg 7.4
xorg-server 1.5.3
libdrm master branch (as of today)
mesa master branch (as of today)
xf86-video-intel 2.5.99.2 (tearing still occurs even with 2.5.99.1, 2.5.1,
and 2.5.0)

I have Xorg setup for 1080p output to a plasma tv via hdmi, and that works
great.  I use Mythtv to play video content (with and without vsync checked)
but I get the same tearing even when using mplayer -vo xv.  The horizontal
tearing only occurs when playing 1080i video and it always tears at the same
location, about 1/8 of the way down the screen from the top.  720p video
plays great without any tearing, as everything else does that's smaller then
1080 as well.

If I enable xcompmgr, the tearing gets even worse.  But it is now about 1/4
of the way up from the bottom of the screen.

If I enable the opengl renderer in mythtv then all the content is rendered a
green monochrome.  weird.

I've attached my dmesg, xorg.conf, and Xorg.0.log.