problem with monitor asus vw198s

Fabio fast at ferrara.linux.it
Mon Jan 12 07:47:54 PST 2009

So, there is no way to get somewhere a good modeline for this monitor, or
get it automatically recognized by xorg? Is it such a rare monitor?
It seems strange to me to have problem with an asus monitor attached to an
asus M/B (asus is one of the more "open" brand) and, moreover, with an
Intel VGA: I have choosen Intel just because their drivers are open, so I
thought to be safe with respects to the problems with I had with some
Ati/Nvidia VGA....  :-(((

>>> There have been bugs with VT switching on intel recently. These are
>>> being fixed, so it may be best here to file a bug with Ubuntu and wait
>>> for the fixes to flow down.
>>
>> I made more googling in the afternoon and it seems that the issue is more
>> with the framebuffer that with the intel driver.
>> I had a try removing the fb, that is with options
>> quiet nosplash video=vesa:off vga=normal
>> for grub: apparently, the problem disappeared. At least, it didn't reproduce
>> for at least 10 login/logout.
>> (This is why I changed the subject)
>>
>> Of course I can live without the framebuffer and the splash screen, but
>> I would prefer if there is a way to recover it ...  :-)

Well, the truth is that the problem appeared again... :-(((
But I don't know how to do to COMPLETELY remove the framebuffer: even with
quiet nosplash video=vesa:off vga=normal
the framebuffer is still inside the initrd.img: how do I remove it from
there?
Moreover it seems from the log that the module fbcon is loaded from X: how
do I prevent this?

All in all: I would like to start a system with NO KIND of framebuffer:
just the console and X started by gdm. How do I achieve this?

Thanks

Fabio