[Brainstorm] LinkKit for Xorg

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Sat Jan 10 10:24:24 PST 2009

Rémi Cardona wrote:
> Le 10/01/2009 03:10, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade a écrit :
>>    Xorg (and to some extent XFree86) loadable modules
>> aren't really of much use, as modules cannot be properly
>> unloaded, there is no dependency information; a module
>> doesn't list it's dependencies in any form, causing
>> frequently one to need to load a lot more code/data
>> then required.
>
> Hi Paulo,

  Hi Rémi,

> Why not implement that instead? Sounds like reviving LinkKit will bring
> more cruft rather than clean up the current code...

  The amount of work for either should be similar, just that if
you have a "closed binary", it must have all symbols resolved.
The "cool" thing about loadable modules would be to be able to
switch/disable/enable input/video/etc modules on the fly, but this
is not a reality, and requires restarting the X Server anyway...

> What's your ulterior motives with LinkKit anyway? Just curious :)

  None really, but maybe someone that worked on it is reading
the lists and could also comment, or maybe some vague memory
of transforming an "unusable" computer in one that could even
run emacs (I used to use emacs to edit sources, read email,
compile, debug, etc) :-)
  I just cited it because it used the concept I was thinking about,
http://www.xfree.org/3.3.6/LinkKit1.html.

> Cheers,
>
> Rémi

Paulo