multihead / dual input howto (two local users, keyboards etc.)?

Tiago Vignatti vignatti at c3sl.ufpr.br
Thu Jan 8 20:29:45 PST 2009

Tomasz Chmielewski escreveu:
> Tiago Vignatti schrieb:
>> Tomasz Chmielewski escreveu:
>>> BTW, I tried the multiseat live CD from
>>> http://wiki.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/index.php/Live-CD
>>>
>>> I like its hardware detection (press F1, left mouse to activate this
>>> screen).
>>
>> Indeed, it's nice.
>>
>> Now a question: is there a reason to keep your howto alive in the Web
>> given that it doesn't show anything in special or different compared
>> with the others? It will just confuse the poor users.
>
> Let's see what the other options are:
>
> According to http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/Multiseat
> we have the following pages with "Users" in mind:
>
> 1) http://wiki.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/index.php/Mdm
>
> mdm is a nice "feature preview", even with a live CD, but just no major
> distro ships it. And if a major distro doesn't ship some software, it
> just doesn't exist in a Linux world.
> Livecd had some flaws as I tested it:
> - resolutions were not detected properly and I couldn't change them
> (even xrandr was showing that 1024x768 is the only possible one)
> - the system didn't reboot as I told it to; it was hanging somewhere at
> the end waiting for something.
>
> These are minor flaws, and perhaps not even mdm related.
> What I didn't like about mdm is that it doesn't ask if it should really
> shut down or reboot the machine if there are other users logged in (for
> example, KDM does that, it is nice IMO).
>

> 2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiseat - wikipedia article.
> It's a good explanation, but it won't configure your Linux desktop to be
> a multiseat station.
>

> 3) http://www.ltn.lv/~aivils/?proj_id=multiseat&menu_id=1 - as big fat
> words say, "DONT TRY THIS!", so let's just not go there.
>

> 4) http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO/ - "very old
> documentation. DONT TRY THIS! It is here just for historical purposes".
> OK, so another antiquated documentation. I actually tried to read this,
> well, but yes, I agree with "DONT TRY THIS" words now.
>

> So what did we have there - nothing usable for a mere mortal, rather
> scary words that multiseat should not be used.
>

> Let's look here now:
>
> http://wpkg.org/Configuring_multiseat_X_workstation
>
> It's far from being perfect, but at least:
> - does not tell you you have to patch and compile your brand new 2.4
> kernel, because otherwise, multiseat is not possible
> - doesn't tell you to install a modified XFree86 server
> - is easy to follow and will work for majority of users who ever edited
> their xorg.conf in the past
>

> So sorry, but if anything's confusing the poor users, it's that
> wiki.x.org page that lists old documentation which is even not
> applicable today.
> Or did you mean, there is some other documentation listed elsewhere? I'd
> be glad to hear about it.
>
> Of course, the whole discussion would be unnecessary if the distros
> [...]

okay, Tomasz. I updated our wiki [0]. Please take a look there and see
if it's reasonable and fits with your ideas.

BTW, you didn't give credits and/or referenced anyone in your page.

[0] http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/Multiseat

Cheers,

--
Tiago Vignatti
C3SL - Centro de Computação Científica e Software Livre