Very large resolutions

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Tue Jan 6 23:05:11 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 12:58:49PM -0800, Steve W wrote:
> I seem to remember a thread a while back where someone was talking about the limits of the size of a combined screen that can be produced.
>
> I run a 6 screen setup with 3 video cards (all nvidia) under a OS from redmond, and I've always wanted to upgrade.
>
> Currently the combined footprint is 3840x2048 from 6 identical 1280x1024 screens.
>
> Is this still an impossibility?

See chapter 14 in the README [1]:

   o Only the intersection of capabilities across all GPUs will be advertised.

     The maximum OpenGL viewport size depends on the hardware used, and is
     described by the following table. If an OpenGL window is larger than the
     maximum viewport, regions beyond the viewport will be blank.

         OpenGL Viewport Maximums in Xinerama

         GeForce GPUs before GeForce 8:      4096 x 4096 pixels
         GeForce 8 and newer GPUs:           8192 x 8192 pixels
         Quadro:                             as large as the Xinerama
                                             desktop

Also chapter 19:

    19B. MAXIMUM RESOLUTIONS

    The NVIDIA Accelerated Linux Graphics Driver and NVIDIA GPU-based
    graphics cards support resolutions up to 8192x8192 pixels for the
    GeForce 8 series and above, and up to 4096x4096 pixels for the GeForce
    7 series and below, though the maximum resolution your system can
    support is also limited by the amount of video memory (see USEFUL
    FORMULAS for details) and the maximum supported resolution of your
    display device (monitor/flat panel/television). Also note that while
    use of a video overlay does not limit the maximum resolution or refresh
    rate, video memory bandwidth used by a programmed mode does affect the
    overlay quality.

Hope that helps!

-- Aaron

[1]: ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/180.18/README/index.html