Floats in the protocol

Sascha Hlusiak saschahlusiak at arcor.de
Tue Jan 6 06:18:32 PST 2009

Hi,

> Recap: Peter and I want to transfer floats in input properties, see there:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2008-December/041647.html
Besides being able to transfer floats with input properties, I'd like to see
the possibility to transfer strings as well
That would also give the possibility of using the workaround that Roland
suggested and encode floats (and basically anything else) by using strings.

> On XDS 08, Keith suggested simply putting them on the wire. That is,
> require IEEE756 32 bit and account for endianness.
That seemed the most natural solution for me, too.

> Roland suggested to drop the binary representation, and favored a string
> rep. specified in C99. He claims interchange of binary representations
> is unsafe due to platform details:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2008-December/041650.html
It's hard to believe for me that platforms interpret IEEE754 in so different
ways. Are there any more references where IEEE754 representation can go wrong
between different platforms?

- Sascha