No subject

- gw1500se awingnut at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 5 16:44:36 PST 2009

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. Please see embedded responses.

Peter Hutterer wrote:

  On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 12:34:50PM -0500, - gw1500se wrote:

  I am having a problem with my Microsoft PS/2 optical wheel mouse when I
switch between machines with a KVM switch. Specifically, my Mandriva machine
no longer recognizes a mouse is attached (Windows does not have a problem
with switching). Some research has come up with a suggestion that the mouse
protocol be changed in xorg.conf to PS/2. However, it is currently
ExplorerPS/2 and when I try to change it, it magically reverts so I don't
know if that change will fix my problem or not.

what version of the server?

X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90

Release Date: 5 September 2007

X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0

Build Operating System: Linux_2.6.22.12-server-1mdv Mandriva

Current Operating System: Linux dap002 2.6.24.4-server-1mnb #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 15:07:48 CET 2008 i686

Build Date: 14 March 2008  04:11:49PM

  watch the xorg.log when you switch to and fro the machine, it'll probably
notice the mouse going away, but not coming back. In this case it could be
either a problem with the kernel or with HAL.

I think you are correct. Here is the log info switching away:

(II) evaluating device (Mouse1)

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse1" (type: MOUSE)

(II) evaluating device (Keyboard1)

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard1" (type: KEYBOARD)

(II) Mouse1: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

(II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.

(II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" removed.

(II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.

(II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" removed.

(II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.

(II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" removed.

(II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.

(II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" removed.

Here is the log info switching back:

SetClientVersion: 0 9

SetGrabKeysState - disabled

SetGrabKeysState - enabled

try adding "AutoAddDevices" "false" to you ServerLayout section and restart
the server. This forces the server to use the mouse driver (by default on
/dev/input/mice) and leave all the hotplugging to the kernel.
Does the mouse work then? If not - definitely a kernel problem.

Is that the correct key word for my version? It doesn't like it. Here is that section:

Section "ServerLayout"

    Identifier "layout1"

    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"

    Screen "screen1"

    AutoAddDevices "false"

EndSection

It told me AutoAddDevices was an invalid key word for that section.

  Perhaps someone can tell me either why the mouse protocol will not stay the
way I set it or, better yet, why the mouse goes away after using the KVM
switch.

most likely because your xorg.conf settings are ignored, as they usually are
with servers 1.5 and above.
http://who-t.blogspot.com/2008/12/evdev-xorgconf-hal-and-other-fud.html

Since I am below 1.5, hopefully this doesn't apply. I don't know anything about HAL. I'm pretty sure my xorg.conf parameters are not being ignored as I have made changes that effect X. But then maybe it is ignoring some and not all.

Cheers,
  Peter