Multihead Displays

Jason Gauthier jgauthier at lastar.com
Mon Jan 5 09:13:10 PST 2009

>> I'm attempting to multihead an Intel video card and a USB VGA
adapter.

>You don't specify which version of the X server you're using. This may
>be useful since things are changing in this area...

Indeed!
X.Org X Server 1.5.2
Release Date: 10 October 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-19-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux jgauthierlnx 2.6.27-9-generic #1 SMP Thu
Nov 20 21:57:00 UTC 2008 i686
Build Date: 24 October 2008  08:00:16AM
xorg-server 2:1.5.2-2ubuntu3 (buildd at rothera.buildd)
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present

>> While I can get both "screens" to work with X, it's a not a true
>> desktop, as they are both disconnected from each other.
>>
>> The mouse can move back and forth, but that is all.

>That's the traditional (legacy) way to handle multihead in X: each head
>gets its own connexion :0.0, :0.1 and so on.

>> When I attempt to enable 'xinerama' I get a seg fault.

>Currently this should indeed the way to go.  If you get a segfault this
>is a bug and more information (Xorg.0.log for instanct) would be
helpful
>to try to debug and fix it.

Here's screen output:
Backtrace:
0: X(xf86SigHandler+0x79) [0x80c3009]
1: [0xb7fc1400]
2: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//intel_drv.so [0xb7a380dd]
3: X [0x80caec4]
4: X [0x80cb02a]
5: X(xf86HandleColormaps+0x21a) [0x80cbf3a]
6: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//intel_drv.so [0xb7a3ad70]
7: X(AddScreen+0x19f) [0x807137f]
8: X(InitOutput+0x206) [0x80aa536]
9: X(main+0x279) [0x8071b19]
10: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe5) [0xb7bca685]
11: X [0x8071101]
Saw signal 11.  Server aborting.

And log file is attached.

Thanks for any ideas.

>the current versions of xrandr don't support multiple cards. This is an
>addition planned for the future. But also the SiS usb vga driver has
.currently no active maintainer, so even when this gets implemented, it
>will take some time before it becomes available on this driver.

>> So, I'm left wondering how to accomplish this task.  Any insight is
helpful!

--
Matthieu Herrb