[multiseat] hard freeze when running "X -arguments... :1"

Jan Kasprzak kas at fi.muni.cz
Mon Jan 5 02:36:34 PST 2009

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
: Tiago Vignatti schrieb:
:
: >> So far I have one problem: my computer freezes whenever I want to use
: >> GDM as a desktop manager. On the other hand, everything works fine if
: >> I use KDM.
: >>
: >> Closer investigation turned up that the freeze does not really depend
: >> on the desktop manager, but on the order X servers are started.
: >
: > Some days ago I answered to you in what mess we're living (search for
: > <494EE380.1040506 at c3sl.ufpr.br>). You won't be able to initialize more
: > than one X server so soon.
:
: "Not being able to initialize more than one X server" doesn't sound like
: a right direction of development to me, or?

	With recent versions (I use Fedora 10,
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.5.3-6.fc10.x86_64,
xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.9.0-63.fc10.x86_64) - I am able to POST even a secondary
card. It is (and always has been, AFAIK) dependent on the order in which
you start the X servers.

	In my old configuration (32-bit, Radeon 9200 AGP + Riva TNT2 PCI)
restarting the ATI X server froze the Riva X server, but I could restart
the Riva at any time without affecting the ATI session.

	With my current setup (64-bit, two ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCIe cards),
POSTing the secondary card resets also the primary card (so the primary
X server has to be started last, which is what xdm does), and worse even,
terminating the secondary X server locks up the computer altogether
in a similary way to what you have described (no response to KBD LEDs,
no response to ping, no reboot when echo 10 > /proc/sys/kernel/panic.

	BTW, what approach do you use for sound? I would like both users
to use sound to their own stereo speakers, so probably split a 6-channel
sound card output to three independent virtual stereo outputs via global
(not per-session) pulseaudio daemon?

-Yenya

--
| Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak  <kas at {fi.muni.cz - work | yenya.net - private}> |
| GPG: ID 1024/D3498839      Fingerprint 0D99A7FB206605D7 8B35FCDE05B18A5E |