compiling 32bit libraries on x86-64 system

Dirk Hohndel hohndel at infradead.org
Thu Jan 1 20:23:05 PST 2009

I must be missing some 'configure' magic here...

For some modules (like the X server) it's rather straight forward to
build 32bit on a 64bit system. Something like

LDFLAGS=-L/opt/X11R7-32/lib ./configure --prefix=/opt/X11R7-32
--enable-32-bit --build=x86-linux

appears to do the trick.

But for some other modules this fails (for example, libX11 doesn't know
the --enable-32-bit flag). Worse, there doesn't seem to be a clean way
to separate 32 and 64bit libraries and have apps pick up the right libs
when running a custom build...

Am I missing something? Is there a readme or a wiki entry somewhere?
Any suggestions?

(and in case you are wondering why I'm trying to do this... I have a
commercial 32bit application that uses GLX; I want to run the very
latest X server and mesa on my GM45 based laptop; so I need to be able
to build my own server with its libraries in both 64bit (as I am
running F10-x86-64) and 32bit (for the 32bit app))

Thanks

/D