Preferred way to create & insert input events?

Chris Riddoch riddochc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 15:33:36 PST 2009

Hi, folks.

I'm working on some accessibility software that will enter events into
X, and have had some difficulty finding the appropriate APIs to use to
do so. I've looked at some existing software (cellwriter, easystroke,
xvkbd, etc.) and it seems like this is a relatively tricky thing to
do.

I've learned quite a bit about the uinput kernel module, but I haven't
figured out how to determine how it's been mapped to another key
before it gets to the application, or how to get at the mapping from
scancodes to keycodes, or even whether that's where I should be trying
to hook in, in the first place.  I have an old copy of O'Reilly's Xlib
programming manual, volume 1, from 1995, but I'm sure things have
moved on since then and there's a preferred way to generate input
events in software in modern X.

I also saw, via LWN, that there are people that have been working on
major changes to the input system - http://lwn.net/Articles/316274/

Can someone point me in the right direction?  A lot of this seems
exceedingly difficult to find.

Thanks,

--
Chris Riddoch