xclock's problem

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Feb 27 13:39:52 PST 2009

Masaru Nomiya wrote:

>   Subject    : Re: xclock's problem
>   Date & Time: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 03:14:17 +0000
>
> [Glynn] == Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com> has written:
>
> Me>> I'm using xlock with the settings in .xinitrc;
> Me>>
> Me>> xclock -digital -update 1 -fg gray100 -bg gray25 -fn "-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*" -geometry 270x33+1642+0 -strftime "%Y年%m月%d日(%a)   %H時%M分%S秒" &
>
> Glynn> I don't know if it's related to your problem, but you should probably
> Glynn> be using e.g.:
>
> Glynn> 	-xrm "*fontSet: -*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*"
>
> Glynn> instead of -fn.
>
> Glynn> Also, try using the -norender option.
>
> Thanks.
>
> With -xrm and -norender, I can use my favotite font.
>
> But, how do you know -xrm option?
> It is not in man, nor massage by executing "xclock -h".

It's a standard option implemented by the X toolkit (Xt). Similarly,
the fontSet resource is standardised by the Athena (Xaw) widget set
which xclock uses.

When xclock was written, it was probably assumed that users would be
familiar with this. As other toolkits have become more popular
(primarily GTK and Qt), users are less likely to be familiar with the
X toolkit and X resources

> Anyway, a problem of time display is a bug, isn't it?

Probably. AFAICT, the problem relates to the code which only redraws
the portion which has changed (which seems like needless optimisation
to me). It's complicated by the fact that there are three different
versions of the text handling code: Xft, multi-byte (using fontSets)
and unibyte (using fonts).