blank external DVI on Thinkpad T40

Gilad Arnold arnold at cs.berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 25 12:56:56 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 03:32:58PM -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> Also, IIRC, the DVI port on the IBM docking station is only supposed
> to support a max resolution of 1280x1204 or 1600x1200.  It might be a
> limitation of DVI traces or connector in the docking station.

I'm not sure. As I said, the DVI port used to work fine at 1900x1200
prior to Xorg 1.3. Of course, back then the LVDS was disabled in the
presence of an external DVI.

> Either of those should work.  You'll have to have another monitor
> plugged in if you ignore the LVDS or it won't find any attached
> monitors.

The ignore option led to the aforementioned error, although I did have
the external DVI monitor connected. I can try again with VGA-0 connected
as well but suspect that the result will be the same.  The xrandr --off
option did shutdown the LVDS, but did not help de-blanking the DVI...

Has anyone had any positive experience with a similar setting? Perhaps
it is a driver issue to start with? (fglrx does a better job with
managing multiple displays?)

Gilad