Getting there Re: Current support and roadmap for discrete graphics card hot switching

Albert Vilella avilella at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 11:09:06 PST 2009

Hi all,

Just to give a heads up to everyone interested in this thread, one of
the Sony Vaio Z-series launchpad team members has found a way to turn
on/off the discrete nvidia graphics card by investigating the DSDT
tables. So we have at least 60 happy users that can enjoy this feature
now. Details here:

https://launchpad.net/~sony-vaio-z-series
http://www.basyskom.org/~eva/log_installation_vaio_z21vnx.html

The mode can be switched through sysfs:

    echo stamina > /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/speed_stamina
 echo speed > /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/speed_stamina

Make sure you have no X server running while doing this, as X will break.

The drivers starts in stamina mode as default. This can be changed by
a parameter, to startup in speed mode:

  insmod sony-laptop speed_stamina=1

It is unsure initialisation of the Nvidia card is complete and this
has not been tested. Loading such a module at boot time might break
your linux installation (or at least making it impossible to start up
the X server).
Unfortunately the PCI system doesn't really recognize the change and
still shows the 00:02.0 Intel graphics controller and the 01:00.0
Nvidia graphics controller, but not the 00:02.1 Intel card. So if you
use scripts to switch your X.org config, this will break.

I guess it's a matter of X.org picking up from here now, trying to get
this to work better with a running X server somehow.

Cheers,

    Albert.