Severe memory leaks make X.org unuseable

milnser43200 at yahoo.com milnser43200 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 16:44:14 PST 2009

The resource usage has not changed much after it has been running. Though you are right, I think you are saying that the two 131 mb allocations are not actually real ram usage, but instead are just mappings of the video hardware address space. So basically that is not space consumed in RAM. This seems to be indicated by top command free read while X server is not running and while is:
Mem: 221M Active, 33M Inact, 97M Wired, 10M Cache, 56M Buf, 96M Free
Swap: 195M Total, 150M Used, 44M Free, 77% Inuse, 80K In
   Mem: 234M Active, 26M Inact, 111M Wired, 9000K Cache, 56M Buf, 77M Free
Swap: 195M Total, 148M Used, 46M Free, 76% Inuse

I am sorry about the trouble that this misunderstanding has caused. I am just glad to know that the Xserver is really taking up only 30 mb of ram or so.