very slow performance of glxgears (68 fps)

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Thu Feb 19 06:53:26 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 20:46 +0600, Mikhail Gusarov wrote:
> Twas brillig at 09:44:35 19.02.2009 UTC-05 when jg at freedesktop.org did gyre and gimble:
>
>  JG> So if memory is right by the pixels the concept of vertical retrace
>  JG> may become moot, conceivably, someday.
>
> It is already, for e-ink displays.

Actually, not quite from one point of view; IIRC, the e-ink displays
quality (in grayscale) goes down a bit if you stop updating them.  (I
could have this memory wrong).  What is more, the frame rate of e-ink is
pretty low (though will show some serious improvements over the next
year or two, from what I've seen in their lab).

In any case, I think the point is correct, but moot: we have to worry
about VR for the time being...
                             - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org>