Severe memory leaks make X.org unuseable

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Thu Feb 19 01:33:09 PST 2009

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:18:39 +0000
John Tapsell <johnflux at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/2/19 Maciej Grela <maciej.grela at gmail.com>:
> > 2009/2/19 milnser43200 at yahoo.com <milnser43200 at yahoo.com>:
> >> There are very serious and severe memory leaks under X.org with the savage driver. I am on FreeBSD. This is a very serious problem as it consumes all system memory adn causes other applications to crash. It is totally unuseable and intolerable and is simply shoddy and sloppy programming. I know for a fact XFree86 did not leak memory like this, XFree86 started at about 25 MB and stayed there. What is going on here? Every since the X.org project was started the quality of X distribution has plummeted drastically.
> >>

> > Post some details (hardware ? xorg version ? driver version ? logs ?)
> > because there isn't enough information in your post to even start
> > investigating the issue.
>
> From his previous posts[1], it looks like he's talking about ProSavage
> DDR on Freebsd.  I attempted to try to help by getting him to run
> pmap, but it seems freebsd doesn't have pmap.

I have no idea if it's the same thing you are referring to, but there
is pmap port in sysutils/pmap on FreeBSD.  It does not have a -d
option, but 'pmap pidofxorg' gives me:

2780:	/usr/local/bin/X
Address   Kbytes     RSS  Shared    Priv Mode  Mapped File
08048000    1484    1308       -    1308 r-x   /usr/local/bin/Xorg
081BB000      24      24       -      24 rw-   /usr/local/bin/Xorg
081C1000     148     148       -     148 rw-     [ anon ]
081E6000     104       4       -     104 rwx     [ anon ]
281BB000     148     104     148       - r-x   /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
281E0000       8       8       -       8 rw-   /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
<snip>

Adam

believed to be clean.