Drawing minimized windows

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Feb 16 01:05:47 PST 2009

On Monday 16 of February 2009, John Hamel wrote:
> Incidentally, if it's the window manager that's creating the issue,
> any chance you'd know if there are any window managers that do draw
> minimized windows?

 KDE4's KWin can do this, when enabled in advanced compositing settings
(window thumbnails set to always).

> On 2/15/09, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-02-15 at 21:41 -0600, John Hamel wrote:
> >> As I understand it this is a direct result of the minimized
> >> windows not being drawn by X.
> >
> > 'minimized' is not a part of the window system, rather it's a window
> > manager artifact. That window managers 'minimize' windows by unmapping
> > them is not the fault of the window system.

 Yes. Unmapping is however usually seen as the way to minimize a window, as
can be seen by the inability to come to any consensus on
_NET_WM_STATE_MINIMIZED on the EWMH spec list.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz