XRandR: Screen Rotation animation effect

Corbin Simpson mostawesomedude at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 22:07:39 PST 2009

Keith Packard wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 19:44 -0800, Bipin George Mathew wrote:
>> Currently, when we use Xrandr to rotate the screen, the screen goes
>> blank for a second or two and then shows the screen in the new
>> orientation.
>
> That's just a bug; there's no reason to have it blank for a long period
> of time as we're not setting a new mode, just changing the frame buffer
> pointer. Fixing the driver API to keep this from reprogramming the video
> hardware would make the switch instantaneous at least, even if it
> doesn't have a cool transition effect.

After giving it a bit more thought, I'm actually going to have to say
that it *must* be up to a compositor to do any effects. After all, since
modes aren't square, windows have to be shifted around and such, and it
just seems like incredibly bad form to do that at any level lower than
the window manager. Also, even on a square mode, the actual viewing area
that would be consistently viewable would be circular and there would be
undefined areas of screen space at certain points.

~ C.