XRandR: Screen Rotation animation effect

Corbin Simpson mostawesomedude at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 20:41:01 PST 2009

Bipin George Mathew wrote:
> Currently, when we use Xrandr to rotate the screen, the screen goes blank
> for a second or two and then shows the screen in the new orientation. I was
> exploring if it was possible to avoid the flicker and substitute it with a
> relevant animated effect - Is this code change even do-able, given the way
> xserver interfaces with the video drivers? Any pointers?
>
> The alternative would be not to use XRandR at all, and let the window
> manager do the effect - but this requires the Input redirection patches
> (which has limitations)

Going off the top of my head; I'm sure somebody will correct me.

The flicker could be avoided if load detection were skipped, but I think
that discussion's already been had.

An animation could be done by a compositor, but at that point the
compositor (not xrandr) would be handling the rotation.

~ C.