XKB - xkbcomp can't find keycode includes (Bug?)

Jacek Luczak difrost.kernel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 09:26:16 PST 2009

Peter Hutterer pisze:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:52:21AM +0100, Jacek Luczak wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> xkbcomp fail with message:
>> The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
>>> Error:            Can't find file "xfree86" for keycodes include
>>>                   Exiting
>>>                   Abandoning keycodes file "default"
>> Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
>> (EE) Error compiling keymap (server-0)
>> (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
>>
>> The question is, does it look for those includes in directory specified with
>> --with-xkb-path?
>
> check include/xkb-config.h. does it say the right path there?
> does config.log show your settings?

Hmm.. It's all OK:
/* Path to XKB definitions. */
#define XKB_BASE_DIRECTORY "/etc/X11/xkb"

/* Path to xkbcomp. */
#define XKB_BIN_DIRECTORY "/usr/bin"

/* XKB output dir for compiled keymaps. */
#define XKM_OUTPUT_DIR "/var/lib/xkb/"

>> I've got xkeyboard-config (ver. 1.5) build with --with-xkb-base set to
>> /etc/X11/xkb and --with-xkb-path (Xorg-server 1.5.99.902) also set to same
>> directory. I was trying to use setxkbmap (build with
>> --with-xkb-config-root=/etc/X11/xkb) but this didn't work. Finally I've managed
>> to fix (or workaround) that issue by creating symlink /usr/share/X11/xkb ->
>> /etc/X11/xkb - {datadir}/X11/xkb is mentioned as default for --with-xkb-patch
>> xorg-server configure option. So does this option work? Maybe it's responsible
>> for sth different or this is a bug.
>
> --with-xkb-patch or with-xkb-path (just making sure there's no typo)

No typo here [1].

I can easily reproduce it by removing given link:
$ readlink xkb
/etc/X11/xkb
$ rm xkb
$ setxkbmap -rules xorg -model pc105 -layout pl -v 10
Setting verbose level to 10
locale is C
Warning! Multiple definitions of rules file
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard model
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard layout
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Applied rules from xorg:
model:      pc105
layout:     pl
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   xfree86+aliases(qwerty)
types:      complete
compat:     complete
symbols:    pc+pl
geometry:   pc(pc105)
Error loading new keyboard description
$ ln -sf /etc/X11/xkb xkb
$ setxkbmap -rules xorg -model pc105 -layout pl -v 10
Setting verbose level to 10
locale is C
Warning! Multiple definitions of rules file
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard model
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard layout
         Using command line, ignoring X server
Applied rules from xorg:
model:      pc105
layout:     pl
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   xfree86+aliases(qwerty)
types:      complete
compat:     complete
symbols:    pc+pl
geometry:   pc(pc105)
$ echo $?
0

Any idea how to track down that issue?

-Jacek

----------------------
	[1] Xorg-server configure:
configure --prefix=/usr \
    --sysconfdir=/etc \
    --localstatedir=/var \
    --infodir=/usr/info \
    --mandir=/usr/man \
    --disable-ipv6 \
    --enable-dri \
    --disable-dmx \
    --enable-composite \
    --enable-xcsecurity \
    --enable-xorg \
    --enable-xtrap \
    --enable-glx-tls \
    --enable-xorgcfg \
    --enable-install-setuid \
    --enable-config-hal \
    --enable-config-dbus \
    --enable-dri2 \
    --disable-xsdl \
    --disable-kdrive-vesa \
    --disable-xprint \
    --disable-static \
    --disable-xvfb \
    --disable-xnest \
    --disable-xquartz \
    --with-pic \
    --with-int10=x86emu \

--with-default-font-path="/usr/share/fonts/TTF,/usr/share/fonts/Type1,/usr/share/fonts/misc,/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
\
    --with-module-dir=/usr/lib/xorg/modules \
    --with-dri-driver-path=/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri \
    --with-os-name="Slackware 12.1" \
    --with-os-vendor="Beton Project for Slackware Linux Project" \
    --with-xkb-path=/etc/X11/xkb \
    --with-xkb-output=/var/lib/xkb \
    --disable-builtin-fonts \
    --build=$TARGET